Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thought I'd Give it a "Tri"

I competed in the Danskin Triathlon this past weekend in central Mass near the Connecticut border, and I am happy to report that it was my best one yet! It was also a fun mini-vacation weekend for Ben and me. We got to visit a new, albeit not too exciting, city--Worcester (pronounced "Wister"), which is the second largest city in Massachusetts. And, we got to visit the famous Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, which is where I swam for the triathlon. The name of the lake has a Native American translation of "You fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, and nobody fishes in the middle." It's a nice lake with a beautiful sandy beach, but its main claim to fame is having the longest name of any lake in the country! ;-)

Now, for the tri report...

Most of you know that I participated in several triathlons while living in Austin, but that was because I was practically guaranteed warm (usually hot!) weather, and the water for the swim would never dip below 75-80 degrees. So, when I started researching triathlons in the New England area, I was shocked to find that wet suits are required for most competitions because the water can easily be below 70 degrees! Needless to say, I was a bit reluctant about committing to that kind of a race, but I went ahead and signed up anyway, trained for a few months, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best! The great news is that it actually happened! The weather was perfect--88 degrees and cloudy, the water was about 75 and smooth, and the bike ride was as hilly as ever. The swim was very enjoyable, and I finished in a record time (for me) of ~15 minutes! I loved the hills on the ride--we actually rode through Connecticut for half of the ride, and Massachusetts for the other half, and the run, although there was a large uphill, wasn't bad at all. I can't take all the credit for a good race, though--Ben was there as my loyal supporter every step of the way. He had his cow bell ringing at every turn, and was invaluable as a pacing coach. It if wasn't for his time updates on the run, I wouldn't have been able to keep up the pace and finish strong. Thanks, Ben!!

This race definitely gave me the "itch" to do more, and I am considering doing another one in September if my school schedule allows. Only 3 1/2 weeks until I start law school! Woohoo!!!

On a side note, we also watched the Simpson's movie this weekend (Ben is a loyal fan), and I must admit that it was one of the most hilarious movies I have seen in a while. I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I swam the English channel in Texas! Or was it a language barrier? What the heck-I sure like this venue - good to see old friends enjoying life. Laura and Sarah are definitely looking like sisters. Kind of amazing I didn't notice before! I love you guys and am looking forward to a good excuse to return easterly sometime in the near future.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Congrats Laura. I was just listening on the radio this morning about stories from the Kona Hawaii Ironman Tri and it is all so very inspirational. Keep up the hard work and good luck this fall. You will make an amazing lawyer.

lltanderson said...

congratulations, laura! wow...i can't believe your law school start date is so close. i need to keep up with you more ;-p

Crystal said...

I thought about you today! Good luck on law school, girl. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

uhhhhhhmmm. i want more updates. :)